61st Annual Diocesan Youth Convention
The information below is printed on page 2 of Permission Slip - HOTEL Participants.
CONVENTION RULES, BEHAVIOR EXPECTATIONS & DRESS CODE
RESPECT OTHERS: You represent the Catholic Church, your parish/school and your family, and are expected to show Christian consideration, kindness, sensitivity and respect for the people and property around you.
BEHAVE AND DRESS MODESTLY: All participants are expected to behave in a manner appropriate for Catholic Christian young people throughout the weekend. This includes making appropriate and modest choices in clothing, words, and actions, and is expected at all time during the Convention—during sessions, during social times (including on the dance floor), and in hotel rooms. No physical abuse of self or others, no bullying, and no fighting of any kind will be permitted. The following dress code must be followed throughout the Convention:
- No clothing containing words or symbols that are profane, suggestive or promote cigarettes, drugs, or alcohol.
- Sweaters, shirts, and dresses must cover the stomach/midriff.
- Extremely low-rise jeans or slacks (or clothing that is rolled down to reveal areas below the waist) are not appropriate.
- Skirts, dresses, and shorts/skorts must be an appropriate length, no higher than one hand-width from the top of the knee.
- Dresses or skirts should be appropriate in length and style and should not be revealing.
DO NOT BRING OR USE BANNED SUBSTANCES AND ITEMS: Illegal drugs (including prescription drugs being misused), alcohol, tobacco products and weapons of any kind are not to be brought to the Convention or used at any time during the Convention weekend. Violators will be sent home. Anyone who is present at the time of the violation is also subject to dismissal from the Convention.
WEAR CREDENTIALS: All participants must wear their own name badge and wristband (if staying at the hotel for the weekend) at all times. Lost name badges or wristbands should be reported to your group leader immediately. A replacement fee of $5 will be charged for those missing credentials.
ATTEND AND BE ON TIME: All participants must attend all Convention activities and are expected to be on time for all activities. Any illness or injury should be reported to your group leader, and then to a Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministry staff member of Security Team member. If you will be leaving the premises and missing any part of the Convention weekend, your group leader must check you in and out with Convention security.
PAY ATTENTION RESPECTFULLY: All participants are expected to pay attention during gathered sessions, and to eliminate distractions, including cell phones and other electronic devices. Cell phones must be turned OFF during ALL gathered Convention activities, including prayer times, meals, general sessions, breakouts and liturgy. Phone conversations and texting are not allowed during these activities.
ADHERE TO CURFEW: All participants MUST be in their own rooms by curfew (11:30 P.M. on Friday; 12:00 A.M. on Saturday). Adult chaperones will conduct a room check of all rooms beginning 15 minutes after curfew. After room check, participants may not leave their rooms until 6:30 A.M.
NO VISITING ROOMS: There will be NO visiting in rooms of the opposite gender. It is also disruptive to other hotel guests to have long visits at an open door with same gender persons; please keep visits brief.
BE RESPECTFUL HOTEL GUESTS: The customary rules of consideration and kindness when in a hotel are to be observed at all times. We are guests of the hotel and act as guests of a very gracious host.
- We are not the only ones occupying the hotel; treat other outside guests respectfully at all times.
- Read all of the directions regarding fire safety, and make sure you know the location of all emergency exits.
- Be certain that your door is always locked when you leave the room and when retiring for the night.
- There is no need to bring large amounts of money or valuable items (jewelry, electronics, etc.) with you. Remember, the hotel assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen articles.
- Windows must be kept closed and drapes drawn at all times.
- Stereos and radios have caused excessive noise and will not be allowed. They will be confiscated for the duration of the weekend.
- The Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministry has made every effort to eliminate the possibility of any incidental charges to rooms (outside calling disabled, game systems disabled, room service prohibited, etc.). However, you are responsible to the hotel for all incidental charges incurred.
OBEY AND HELP CHAPERONES: All youth participants are expected to respect, obey and cooperate with the directions of all chaperones (adults and junior advisors), volunteers, Security Team and diocesan staff. You must also report any problems, suspicions, or observed infractions of the Convention rules to one of these adults immediately.
CONSEQUENCES: Any serious infraction of the rules may result in a call to your parents and/or your parish priest, and your immediate dismissal from the hotel and from the remainder of the Convention activities. There will be no refunds for anyone dismissed from the Convention.
Return to the Diocesan Youth Convention main page