61st Annual Diocesan Youth Convention
Looking for Singers and Musicians for closing liturgy!
For more information and to sign-up please contact Bryan Zielenieski at email@example.com call 716.560.4782 OR Laurie Marshanke at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 716.847.8789
Permission Slip for Musicians and Singers
Original Songs Wanted!
The Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministry of the Diocese of Buffalo is in search of original songs, written by young people, for its 2013 Diocesan Youth Convention to be held February 15-17, 2013.
Convention Theme and Scriptural References
The theme for the conference is “Through Temptation to Salvation.” Some of the key reflections we shared in developing this theme were:
- Just as Jesus was tempted in the desert, we too are tempted each day by things that pull us away from God. Jesus is our role model in dealing with these temptations - he reminds us that the Holy Spirit and the Word of God strengthen us to resist temptation.
- Sometimes we need to go to the desert to prepare ourselves. The Israelites wandered the desert for 40 years on their way to the Promised Land, where they learned through struggles how to stay faithful to God and trust Him. Before beginning his public ministry, Jesus went into the desert for 40 days to prepare himself. Lent is a time for us to go to the desert to prepare ourselves for discipleship.
- We are called to profess our faith ("Jesus is Lord") and stand up for our faith - even if we are standing up alone.
The scripture readings for Sunday’s Closing Liturgy (1st Sunday of Lent) were used in discerning this year’s theme:
- Old Testament Reading: Deuteronomy 26: 4-10
- New Testament Reading: Romans 10: 8-13
- Gospel Reading: Luke 4: 1-13
Criteria for Composition
Song may be used in a variety of settings throughout the conference. Song should be catchy, moving, and use language that speaks to young people. Lyrics should relate to the Convention theme, and perhaps contain key words or phrases from the scriptural references. The song should be melodic, easy to pick up, and adaptable (could be played at a variety of tempos). Composers should keep in mind that the song may be used in a variety of settings, including liturgy. Composers may choose to include a language other than English (esp. Spanish) in the lyrics of their song.
Criteria for Submission
Submissions will only be accepted via email and must be received by 4:30 p.m. EST on Monday, October 1, 2012.
Criteria for submission include:
1. Composer must be under 21 years of age (birthdate on or after 10/2/1991)
2. Cover email including the following information:
- composer's name
- full mailing address
- preferred email address
- telephone number/cell phone number
- school and grade/year
- parish and parish location (city)
3. A recording of the song (mp3 or similar file format).
4. A lyric sheet with chords (melody line if possible, but not required).
Submissions should be sent to email@example.com with Diocesan Youth Convention Song in the reference line. Composers will be sent an email confirmation of receipt once all materials are received. If composer does not receive an email confirmation within three business days, it is incumbent upon him/her to send an email inquiry without attachments and/or resubmit her/his materials. The Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministry is not responsible for submission failure.
All submissions received by the deadline will be reviewed and evaluated by the Convention Planning Team. Selected submissions will be forwarded to members of the Diocesan Youth Board for review. The process should be completed and applicants notified of final decision by December 7, 2012.
Use of Selected Songs
It is possible that one or more composers will be invited to perform their songs live at Witness the Spirit on October 26, 2012. Selected songs may be used at different points during the Convention, including but not limited to praise and worship opportunities, prayer services, Reconciliation service, and Mass. Composers may be invited to perform their songs live at the 2012 Diocesan Youth Convention at the Adam’s Mark Hotel in Buffalo.
Please note that the Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministry must have the right to use or perform the selected song in any format at any time without the need for permission from or compensation paid to the composer or other copyright holder. If the composer cannot meet these conditions, then the song may not be used during the event. Also, no changes should be made to the composition once submitted or chosen without notification and consent of the Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministry.
Promoting this Opportunity
Download a flyer announcing this opportunity and share it with musical young people you know!
If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Goller at the Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministry.