Award presentations (for youth and adults who support youth ministry), showcase of youth ministry highlights, reflections from Bishop Malone, light dinner and theme basket raffle, and a dance!
All are invited to Witness the Spirit...
. . . witness the enthusiastic spirit of our faithful young people
. . . witness the caring and persevering spirit of dedicated adults who work with them
. . . witness the evangelizing spirit of youth ministry in our diocese
. . . witness the supportive spirit of our own Bishop Malone who will gather with the young church that evening
Witness the Spirit will be held on Friday, October 26, 2012 at Mount St. Mary Academy in Kenmore.
Doors open at 6:30 PM. Dress is business casual.
Who can attend?
Invite many people in your parish to attend!
- Young people
- Parents and family members
- Adults who work in youth ministry
- Priests and pastoral staff members
We look forward to seeing you there to celebrate youth ministry and our 2012 award recipients
Who will be recognized?
The Discipleship Awards will be presented to young people (current high school students) who are enthusiastic supporters of their parish's ministry with youth.
The Companions on the Journey Awards will be presented to adults who are active with and support their parish's ministry with young people in youth groups, religious education, scouting and countless other ministries.
The Venerable Nelson Baker Award will be presented to a priest in our diocese who has shown dedication in support and advocacy for youth and youth ministry. In 2012, we will honor Father Matt Nycz from Blessed Mary Angela in Dunkirk.
See below for more information on nominating individuals from your parish for these awards.
Schedule for the evening
6:30 PM Doors Open; Light Reception
7:00 PM Program begins. Program will include:
- Opening prayer
- Recognition of youth, adults and clergy involved in parish youth ministry with presentation of the Discipleship, Companions on the Journey and Venerable Nelson Baker Award
- Showcase of youth ministry highlights from across the Diocese*
- Reflections from Bishop Kmiec
8:30 PM Light Dinner, Theme Basket Raffle**
9:30 PM Basket Raffle Winners announced
9:00-11:30 PM Dance
* Youth Ministry Showcase: If there is a "Good News" story from your parish or a particular young person to be shared as a way of showcasing the gifts and spirit of youth, please contact Jennifer Belock Kilo at 716-847-8789.
**THEME BASKET RAFFLE to benefit the Diocesan Youth Convention Scholarship Fund!
All parishes (and any generous individuals) are invited to donate baskets for this raffle. To make arrangements for your donation, please contact Heather Wolcott Hoffman or by calling 716-847-8789.
All proceeds from the Theme Basket Raffle and the Grand Prize Raffle will benefit the Diocesan Youth Convention Scholarship Fund to help send teens to this inspiring, faith-filled weekend conference in February 2013.
Award Nomination Process
Every parish may choose one young person and one adult (or married couple) to receive special recognition from the Department of Youth and Young Adult Ministry. This event is a celebration of youth ministry and provides parishes the platform to publicly recognize the gifts of young people and the adults who guide them in their faith journey.
Award Nomination & Ticket Order Form
- The awards presented are one-time-only awards. If you would like to check to see if the individuals you would like to recognize have already received the awards, please contact Diane Ruminski.
- In order to defray some of the costs of this event, parishes are asked to contribute $25 for each award they wish to present.
- Please note this year the Manus Christi Award will continue to be presented to outstanding high school seniors at the Diocesan Youth Convention.
- Deadline for ticket orders and award nominations is October 5, 2012!
We look forward to seeing you at this celebration to share the Good News and Witness the Spirit!